8.25.2009

Road tyres!

My road bike has been running 700X25 Bontrager Race X-Lites (120tpi) for the past season. Sometimes I think Bontrager is avoided due to the 'Lance Effect' and the fact that they are exclusively sold at trek stores, but I have been really happy with these tires. They are under 220g, but more importantly, they have only flatted once on me (in about 800 miles of city/rural riding) due to glass. They have worn square a little faster than most, but that is due to the thinner casing. Most of all, the ride quality has been great.. I'm a die hard 25 tire width guy.. that combined with a soft, supple tubular-like casing is what I'm after in a road tire. http://bontrager.com/model/00444

New road tire candidates:







So in my neverending gear geek quest, I want to try something new.. looking specifically at the Conti 4000 or 4000s or the schwalbe ultremo DD. A friend if Portland is racing on Ultremo's and likes them, but I'm thinking it won't be as long wearing as the Conti's and, there is something to be said about being handmade in Germany. I'm a product-source fanatic and the Schwalbes are made in Indonesia (where all the rubber is from anyway) but it's just hard for me to accept in such a high quality tire. Any suggestions? Experience? This dude seems convinced on the 4000s!!!

2 comments:

  1. for racing or riding?
    have you tried gator skins? if you are riding you can't beat the value. I believe I put around 1k on them last year and not a single flat

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've got a pair in 28 that i like ok.. but with those reinforced sidewalls, i thought the ride was pretty harsh, even at like 90psi. no, i don't race. but i like to ride in groups at a race pace i guess.. or as fast as my little legs can go! you ever tried the panaracer pasela for commuting? thanks rafal.

    ReplyDelete